1) I love orientalism...show me a lacquered end table or a gilded screen and I'll show you a grin the size of Texas.
2) Sheepskin is so tactile, and adds the perfect clean, modern, slightly rustic pop to a floor or a chair. I have loads of them from Ikea.
3) Blue and white is my favorite color combination. It always looks classic, but fresh.
4) Color. Color, color, and more color. The more saturated the better. Although, I love pale whispery pink walls. Ever since Domino Magazine (RIP) did an " If this movie was a room" feature on The Royal Tenenbaums (see below), I've been obsessed.
5) My Grandma is my ultimate style icon. She was unafraid to mix up midcentury modern and classic antique pieces in her home long before it was considered chic, and it looked wonderful. My mother took that century-spanning, well traveled aesthetic one step further, adding a sense of eclectic magical realism that enchanted my childhood. Since many of the pieces I'll be working with are inherited from the family, I'm hoping it won't be too hard to capture that feeling in my own rooms!
I want my home to feel light and airy, but also exquisitely lush and cozy. Clean lines, minimal clutter, and lots of texture and pattern to keep things interesting. I am enchanted by the idea of devoting one wall of my living room to framed art, and letting the other walls be empty, or limited to one amazing piece.
images from the Domino archives, Design Sponge, Coco+ Kelly, and Atlantis Home.