Saturday, February 5, 2011

Back in the saddle...

Today I opened the little museum where I work after a month's sabbatical. I was entirely unprepared for how cosy and familiar everything would seem, and how quickly I would settle back into my little routine; Lock the door behind you, disarm the security system, turn on the lights, room by room, dust and straighten up anything gravity and proximity to a major highway has disarranged, set out fresh brochures, flip over the open sign, unlock the door, and set the flag in its post....and wait. I'm sure we won't see any visitors today, but that's alright, I'm happy just sitting here, catching up on the mail, getting back into the swing of things.












January was an odd, untethered sort of month. As usually seems to happen in such situations, what seemed like an enormous ( Intimidating, even!) pile of free time vanished under an even bigger pile of routine maintenance, special projects, and all the little minutiae I could never get to during opening hours. I also found that, without a set of work hours to schedule my day around, I lost track of time all too frequently, and things like eating, sleeping, putting shoes on, leaving the house, checking my voicemail, making time for friends, and yes, even blogging, happened erratically, or not at all. It was a bit like limbo, I imagine.

So I'm glad to be back! I already feel the itch of productivity coming on...

1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes, routine. The familiar and the homely. The soul delights in a gentle tether and the museum is one of the most pleasant of task masters. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete